Thank you for stopping by Recipes for our Daily Bread. Are you here looking for a healthier protein option?
Have you ever tried Bison? Do you know how good it is for you? Bison is leaner, has more protein, less fat, and fewer calories than beef. It is a highly healthy protein option.
How we discovered Bison meat?
I love a good burger, especially this bison burger. My oldest son, Casey, did a research paper on bison a few years ago. He discovered how much better bison was for you than beef. Bison is leaner, has more protein, less fat, and fewer calories than beef. Casey convinced me that we needed to try bison. Since then, he has prepared bison burgers and even bison steaks for our family. We all loved it. I noticed right away that Buffalo meat is very juicy. Bison meat is very healthy but a little more expensive than beef. I try to purchase Buffalo as much as I can, especially since Casey is so willing to cook it. He cooks an amazing bison steak and bison burgers.
Many refer to bison as “America’s original red meat.” This statement is true, but we almost lost this magnificent animal to extinction in the late 1800’s before the great Teddy Roosevelt saved them. Bison has made the comeback from fewer than 1000 animals to around 500,000 today. The number of Bison is increasing because people are discovering their great taste and health benefits. I believe more people would eat bison if they knew this fact. If you want to see the interesting nutritional facts of bison, discover its ecological benefits, and learn about its humane production visit the National Bison Association website.
BISON COOKING TIPS:
When preparing bison, DO NOT OVERCOOK THE MEAT. Overcooking bison will make it extremely tough just like beef can get. If you cook it medium (or a little less) to medium rare, the resulting bison is juicy.
For additional Bison recipes and instructions on how to make a full-size Bison burger see the Bison Counsil website. Instead of dividing the ground bison into six sliders, you would divide a pound of ground bison into three burgers for 1/3 pound burgers.
Best Bison Burgers
- 16 ounces of ground bison
- For sliders divide the ground bison into six equal pieces.
- Montreal Steak season
- Cajun Seasoning
- Garlic seasoning
- Six slider buns
- bbq saute onions, lettuce, and tomato
- If frozen, thaw ground bison in the refrigerator for two days before making the patties. Preheat griddle to 550°F before cooking.
- Form bison burger Slider patties.
- For sliders divide the ground bison into six equal pieces. This makes to perfect size to fit on a slider bun.
- Coat the burgers on both sides with olive oil spray to help form a crust.
- Sprinkle patties with Montreal Steak Seasoning, Cajun Seasoning, and Garlic powder.
- Place the bison burgers on the griddle for 4 minutes on the first side. Flip the burgers, and cook for an additional 3 minutes. The internal temperature should be 135-140°F.
- Let burgers rest for several minutes before eating.
- Serve these bison sliders with your favorite condiments or try to saute onions,
- bbq sauce, lettuce, and tomato.
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.