Italian Cream Cake is a classic three layer buttermilk cake loaded with Southern pecans and coconut. This cake is a special occasion cake in the South. It is frosted with a wonderful cream cheese frosting.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 cups coconut,
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Combine the buttermilk with the coconut and let set.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and shortening.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Use a whisk to combine the flour, salt, and soda.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the sugar and egg mixture alternating it with the buttermilk and coconut mixture.
- Stir in Vanilla and pecans.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until they form peaks.
- Fold them gently into the batter.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch pans. You could also use cooking spray for baking and a piece of parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper too.
- Pour batter evenly in three 9-inch cake pans that have been prepared.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Watch the cake carefully. All ovens cook are different. Use a toothpick and insert it in the center of the cake. The cake on the toothpick should not be wet.
- Cool cake completely.
- Frost cake with cream cheese frosting. See the bottom of this post for the recipe.
- Refrigerate cake in a covered container.
- Remove from the refrigerator at least one hour before serving.
- The cake is best when made and refrigerated two days before serving.