These Light and Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes from scratch are amazing!
We loved our Buttermilk Pancakes-Wayside Restaurant and had to make homemade pancakes.
The buttermilk flavor combined with a light texture topped with real maple syrup makes these pancakes a family favorite. They remind me of our trip to Vermont.
Our Vermont Vacation
The trip was years ago as you can tell from the pictures below, but I cannot eat pancakes without thinking about Vermont. We visited the Bragg Farm Sugarhouse in Montpelier, VT where the farmers produce Pure Maple syrup. We learned the process from taking the sap from the tree to cooking the sap at different lengths of time to make four different grades of syrup. I learned that nothing tastes better than pure maple syrup, especially on hot pancakes.
Wayside Restaurant In Vermont
We also visited a pancake house, Wayside Restaurant, just down the road where they served pure maple syrup. The pancakes did not disappoint us. They were extremely delicious.
Pure Maple Syrup
Before our trip, I purchased the syrup with maple flavoring added. Never again! Pure maple syrup is not only delicious, but it is a reminder of the wonderful time we had visited Vermont. Serve these pancakes with 100% pure maple syrup with melted butter, see recipe below, for a wonderful treat. Cook these pancakes on a flat top griddle and allow the children and grandchildren to help flip them. You will be making memories that will last a lifetime.
Our family makes lots of memories cooking pancakes.
Everyone gets so excited when it is their turn to put the batter on the griddle sizzling with real butter. The smell of melting butter and buttermilk pancake batter travels all over the house.
Family Cooking Time Together
Usually, our youngest daughter and my Special Needs son put on their chef’s hats when it is their turn to cook. My son proudly stands there with his spatula held high in the air just waiting for the pancake edges to cook. He has learned quickly that when the edges of the pancake start to bubble, it is time to turn the pancake over. The pancakes do not always end up where he picked it up from. Sometimes, it does not even end up on the griddle at all, but the point is that he tried, and he had a great time trying.
Everyone Can Help Make Pancakes
No matter how young or how old your children are, I am pretty sure they would love to make these homemade buttermilk pancakes. Your family will also be making memories that will last a lifetime. So, get your camera ready and plan on a great time in the kitchen with your children or grandchildren learning how to make pancakes.
Kick up these pancakes with some blueberries or pecans. Just add a few in each pancake, as soon as you put them on the griddle.
Bragg Sugarhouse uses lots of buckets to catch the sap.
Sugar Maple Tree
- For the lightest, fluffiest pancakes, mix batter gently (it is o.k. to leave a few lumps).
- Resist the urge to flip pancakes more than once.
- Never use your spatula to press down on the pancakes.
Light Buttermilk Pancakes
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Add the salt and sugar.
- Mix in the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
- Do not over mix.
- The batter should have some lumps.
- Melt a couple of tablespoons of real butter on a griddle or large frying pan and pour in 1/3 cupfuls of batter.
- Turn pancake over when bubbles around the edges begin to form.
- Cook on the other side 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup heated with 1/4 cup real butter.
Breakfast Recipes You Should Try
- OVEN FRIED BACON EASIEST WAY COOK BACON
- HOMEMADE SAUSAGE GRAVY
- CHOCOLATE GRAVY & BISCUITS FOR BREAKFAST
- CREAMY CHEESY GRITS
- SPRITE BISCUITS SUPER LIGHT FLUFFY
- WHY LEARN TO MAKE SOUTHERN BISCUITS?
- SOUTHERN TOMATO PIE BACON BASIL
- SOUTHERN PEACHES FRITTERS
- AMAZING APPLE FRITTERS
- PERFECT PUMPKIN SPICE PANCAKES
- HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK WAFFLES
- BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE DANISH
- CINNAMON APPLE CREAM CHEESE DANISH
- CINNAMON PULL APART ROLLS
- MEATY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- 3 INGREDIENTS FRENCH VANILLA COFFEE CREAMER
- SKILLET BANANA BREAD CARAMEL
- FRESH APPLE MUFFINS
- STUFFED CRESCENT ROLLS
- EASY ORANGE CRESCENT ROLLS
- ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.