If you enjoy mint and chocolate together, you will fall in love with these Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies include all the goodness of chocolate chip cookies plus loaded with flavorful mint candies. Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies are in honor of my oldest daughter. She loves chocolate and mint together.
I am going to teach you my secrets to delicious Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies.
What is my secret to amazing mint chocolate chip cookies?
Why change a delicious cookie recipe? To make these Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, I use my chocolate chip cookie recipe which I have perfected over decades. If you need detail tips on making Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, please see my earlier Chocolate Chip Cookie Tips post.
Mint Candies Used In These Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Normally, I would add two 12 ounce bags of chocolate chips to my chocolate chip cookie recipe which is about four cups of chocolate chips. To make these Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, I added one cup of chocolate chips, one cup of Mint M & M’s plus two cups of chopped Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips. You can purchase a bag of Andes baking mints in the baking section of your grocery store. The bag of mints in the baking section has been already chopped pretty small. The mint M & M’s are pretty large with a fantastic crunchy shell. The combination of the two different kinds of mints is fantastic in these Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies. You get a ton of mint in every bite with the candies.
Tip: If you want even more mint, replace two teaspoons of vanilla with mint extract.
Please Share My Post
If you enjoy reading my post, please share it. GO to the social media buttons on the far left side of this post on your computer and share with your family and friends. If you are on your iPhone, the share buttons are at the very bottom of the screen.
Handle The Butter With Care
Even though I just wrote an entire post on detailed tips to making the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, I had to talk about butter.
- When baking cookies, the most common mistakes made by home bakers, professionals say, have to do with the care and handling of butter.
Your butter needs to be at room temperature. You should be able to press your finger into the butter and leave a SLIGHT dent. What if you are like me and make a last minute decision to make chocolate chip cookies? YES! You can use your microwave to soften your butter. BE CAREFUL! It is so easy to over-soften butter in the microwave. If this happens, get another stick of butter. DO NOT USE too soft butter in your chocolate chip cookies. If you are going to microwave your butter, do it for 10 seconds and test it. If it needs longer, flip it over and microwave for 5 more seconds.
STEP 1: Whip The Unsalted Butter
With an electric mixer, whip the butter until it is light and fluffy. You can put your mixer on high at this point. Use unsalted butter in your cookies. This way you can control the amount of salt you add to your cookies. You can use salted butter but you may have to decrease the salt in your chocolate chip cookie recipe.
STEP 2: Add The Shortening
Shortening generally makes baked goods softer which is why I love to add both butter and shortening.
STEP 3: Add Your Sugars To The Whipped Butter
- I use a combination of both white and brown sugar.
STEP 4: Add Your Eggs
- The eggs need to be at room temperature.
- With your electric mixer on medium, add your eggs just until incorporated. My recipe calls for two eggs and two egg yolks.
STEP 5: ADD PURE VANILLA AFTER THE EGGS
STEP 6: Flour
- Pour about a half of a bag of all-purpose flour in a large bowl.
- Using a whisk, whisk your flour to break up lumps and make it light and fluffy.
- Measure your whisked flour in a dry measuring cup.
- Level the flour off even with the top of the measuring cup.
- Do this until you have reached the total amount of flour for your chocolate chip cookie recipe needs.
- With the mixer on LOW, add your flour to your butter, shortening, and egg mixture.
Do not over mix the flour!
Add half of your flour and mix a few turns with your mixture and repeat. Do not totally mix in the first half of the flour.
STEP 7: Add A Little Cornstarch With The Flour
Cornstarch help make baked goods more tender.
Level off your cornstarch and baking soda just like you would do your flour.
STEP 8: Turn Mixer Off
STEP 9: Add your chocolate chips, Mint M & M’s, and Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips by hand.
Use a large spoon to mix in your chocolate chips and mints.
STEP 10: Prepare One Of The Following Cookie Sheets
- Use a non-stick baking sheet like Gotham Steel baking pan.
- If you do not have a non-stick cookie sheet, use parchment paper. I love parchment paper when baking. It makes beautiful bottoms. Once you remove the cookies from the oven, just slide the parchment paper off the baking sheet. This will allow them to cool.
- If you have a silicone mat that can go into the oven, use it. It will also help your the bottoms of your cookies come out perfectly without sticking.
STEP 11: Make Same Size Cookie Dough Balls
- Use an ice cream scoop when scooping out your cookies. This way they will all be the same size and will bake evenly.
- Any size ice cream scoop will work. I have a tablespoons size scoop for mini cookies, regular ice cream scoop (1/4 size), and a 1/3 cup ice cream cup for my larger cookies.
Freezing Cookie Dough
See Details on freezing your cookie dough with this link to an earlier post.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5,000 people who receive our newsletter and download these recipes FREE.
STEP 12: Chill The Cookie Dough
Chill the cookie dough at least an hour or longer in the refrigerator. THIS STEP IS MANDATORY!
STEP 13: Bake Your Cookies
Do not overcook your cookies. Baking time will depend on your oven. Once you have baked a batch of cookies, record the time. The next time you bake chocolate chip cookies you can simply set your oven. Once you remove the cookies from the oven, they will continue to bake.
Fill your ice cream scoop with water and measure it in a liquid measuring cup.
Bake 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes if using a 1/3 cup ice cream scoop.
Bake 15 minutes if using a regular size 1/4 cup ice cream scoop. These cookies will take 20 minutes to bake if frozen.
Cook one pan of cookies at a time. When you cook two pans, they do not cook evenly.
Achieving that beautiful, perfectly baked chocolate chip cookie, has taken me decades of practice. So I wanted to pass along my Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies Tips and easy steps after hundreds of batches of cookies.
Everyone loves Chocolate chip cookies but they can difficult for some bakers to master. With just one little change to the recipe or baking time, the perfect chocolate chip cookie can come out of the oven with disappointment.
3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
One teaspoon baking soda
One teaspoon salt
One tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB pure vanilla
Two whole eggs
Two egg yolks
1 – 10-ounce bag Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips
1 – cup semi-sweet Chocolate chips
Plus, one cup Mint M & M’s
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the soft butter and shortening
- Mix in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until very creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the pure vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients which you sifted JUST until blended. Do not over mix.
- Mix the mint candies and chocolate chips in by hand.
- Use an ice cream scoop and drop cookies onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- FOR BEST RESULTS REFRIGERATE DOUGH AT LEAST 30 MINUTES.
- BAKING TIP: Place the pan of cookie dough in the freezer at least 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes if using a 1/3 cup ice cream scoop.
- Bake 15 minutes if using a regular size 1/4 cup ice cream scoop. Makes 35 regular size ice scoop size cookies.
Use an ice cream scoop to scoop dough onto a cookie sheet. Fill the ice cream scoop with water and measure it in a liquid measuring cup to know how big your cookies will be. This is important to know how long to bake your cookies.
If you love mint, replace two teaspoons of vanilla with mint extract. Do not replace all the vanilla with mint.
Andie’s Baking Chips can be found in the baking aisle with chocolate chips.
Mint M & M’s can be found with the Christmas candy.
For your convenience, below are the products used in this post. Gotham steel cookware and bakeware would make a fantastic Christmas gift for foodies.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you purchase these products BUT it will not cost you any extra money.
Please see my disclosure
Other Cookie Recipes You May Enjoy
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.