These Orange Cranberry Scones are one of my favorite things to eat with my coffee.
If you love scones, I am so glad you landed on this recipe. These scones are full of orange flavor in each bite. They make a great dessert too.
After one bite of these Orange Cranberry Scones, I was doing a happy dance. While sitting at the kitchen table, my family was getting annoyed with me. After every bite of these Orange Cranberry Scones, I asked them, “Have I told you how much I love these Orange Cranberry Scones?” I love a scone that is moist, has a firm outside, has lots of fruit and is LOADED with Flavor, especially orange flavor. These Orange Cranberry Scones meet all my requirements for excellent scones.
Have I mentioned they are full of flavor?
I added a lot of fresh orange zest in these scones. I also added a glaze loaded with orange juice and orange zest. You truly get a burst of orange flavoring in every bite. I had mentioned before that my father was born and raised in Winter Haven, Florida. He often talked about running barefoot through the orange groves. Maybe, that memory of him plus the citrus flavor from makes these scones one of my favorites.
Scones are just a “Girly Biscuits”. My husband calls scones “Chick Biscuits.” He would rather have a buttermilk biscuit or a savory biscuit. I will never understand that because these scones are the best scones ever. These Orange Cranberry Scones are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea and for breakfast, brunch or tea.
My Secrets to a perfect biscuit or scones.
- Add your dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Use a whisk and mix them well.
- Add in the zest to the batter and glaze for lots of flavor.
- Grate Very cold butter over the dry ingredients. Do not take the butter out of the refrigerator until you are ready to grate it.
- Pinch in the cream cheese
- Use a large fork to cut the butter in. All you need to do is make sure the shredded butter is covered in flour and not clumped together. Fold in the heavy cream mixed with the egg. Use your hands to make sure all dry ingredients are moist. Stop working the dough when you see no more dry ingredients and it will form a ball.
Orange Cranberry Scones
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
I added a lot of fresh orange zest in these scones. I also added a glaze loaded with orange juice and orange zest. You truly get a burst of orange flavoring in every bite.
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Plus, 1/2 cup cold butter (I grate my butter.)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon grated Orange zest
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup Confectioners sugar
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons fresh Orange juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Grate the butter over the flour.
- Use a knife or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour.
- Add the cream cheese.
- Whisk together the egg, heavy cream, and orange juice.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients and cranberries.
- The dough will form a ball.
- Pat the dough on a floured surface. I use parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Gently roll the dough out to two circles. 7 inches and about ¾ inch thick.
- Cut the circles into 8 wedges like a pizza.
- For Best Results Refrigerate for 20 minutes. This helps them not spread out.
- Bake on sprayed a cookie sheet with 2 inches between each scone. I use Parchment Paper.
- Bake 400 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes until barely light tan. Do not over bake.
- Mix the powder sugar, juice, and zest until smooth.
- Brush icing on scones.
- Serving Size: 1 SCONE
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL ENJOY
- AMAZING APPLE FRITTERS
- OATMEAL BUTTERFINGER COOKIES
- OATMEAL CREAM COOKIES
- BEST PUMPKIN BREAD
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CREME BRULEE
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Have a Fabulous Week!
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.