In this post, we are dressing up the Best Southern Pound Cake recipe for 4th of July.
If you love a super moist delicious pound cake, you will have to try this Patriotic Pound Cake Recipe. I added red, white, and blue candy melts which make this cake perfect for 4th of July.
Do not let the fact this cake is made from scratch scare you off. I am going to teach you exactly how to make it turn out delicious and beautiful too.
What do you need to make this pound cake?
This pound cake recipe includes butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, flour, buttermilk, and candy wafers plus sprinkles for decorating it.
Patriotic Pound Cake Recipe
After making my super moist pound cake recipe, I melted some Red, White, and Blue Candy Wafers in separate bowls. Next, I dropped spoonfuls of the melted Patriotic candy to the top of the cake. This pound cake was then topped off with additional patriotic sprinkles. The perfect dessert to celebrate this summer.
I often get asked, “What is the secret to super moist pound cake recipe”?
We have been baking pound cakes almost 20 years. After lots of practice testing the cake using sour cream, buttermilk, butter and or shortening, I finally arrived at this incredibly moist and delicious pound cake. I use a combination of all of these products. I find they all have a role to play in creating the perfect pound cake with my son Caleb.
Caleb, My Special Needs Son
We call this pound cake recipe Caleb’s Comfort Cake. Every time Caleb hears the oven timer go off for his pound cake, he gets excited and races around the house chanting “Ready.” He grins from ear to ear and cannot wait to share what he helped to create. Due to process problems, he rarely speaks. I get excited to hear his voice and to hear him get excited over his pound cake.
This Patriotic Pound Cake Is Beautiful On Your Holiday Table
This Patriotic Pound cake will be the star on your table. It is not only colorful but I have never had a better pound cake.
Do not leave this cake in the kitchen!
Place this pound cake on a cake stand in the center of your table with a red or blue tablecloth. Sprinkle some red white and blue confetti on the table. You may want to add some of the other red white and blue treats below.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you purchase these products, BUT it will not cost you any extra money.
Please see my disclosure.
- Fluted Cake Pan
- Mini Fluted Cake Pan
- Cake Tester & Releaser
- Mini Cake Gift-Making Set
- MIX ‘N SCRAPER
- STAINLESS STEEL WHISK
- SMALL SPREADER
- LARGE SPREADER
- SLICE ‘N SERVE
- ADJUSTABLE MEASURING SPOON SET
- GLASS MIXING BOWL SET
HOW TO MAKE BEST PATRIOTIC POUND CAKE
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, softened
- ½ cup butter flavoring shortening
- 3 cups of sugar
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup of sour cream
- 1 TB butter flavoring
- 2 TB pure vanilla extract
- One teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 6 ounces of each Candy Wafers Red, White & Blue, melted
- 1/4 cup Patriotic Sprinkles to decorate the top of cake.
- Preheat oven 325 degrees
- With an electric mixer, cream together 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened and ½ cup butter flavoring shortening.
- Add 3 cups of sugar to the creamed butter and shortening.
- Creaming the butter, shortening, and sugar is a significant step. Cream these ingredients for 3 to 5 minutes until it is nice and fluffy.
- Add five eggs one at a time just until the egg yolks disappear. About 1 to 2 minutes.
- Blend in 3/4 cup sour cream.
- Add 1 TB butter flavoring and 2 TB pure vanilla extract.
- Next, add one teaspoon salt and one teaspoon baking powder to the mixture.
- Alternate the 3 cups all-purpose flour with ¾ cup buttermilk just until blended.
- Spray a large bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Add the cake batter to the bundt pan.
- Sprinkle additional sugar on top of the cake before baking for a more crunchy top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake to check for doneness.
- Allow the cake to cool completely about 20 to 30 minutes.
- After the cake is totally cool, turn it out onto a cake plate.
- RED, WHITE, AND BLUE CANDY MELTS
- Melt the red, white, and blue candy wafers according to package in separate bowls.
- I used white chocolate chips instead of candy melts for the white stripes.
- Drop spoonfuls of each color in order. Red, White, and Blue.
- Sprinkle the cake with additional Patriotic candy sprinkles.
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Other 4th July recipes you should try.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.