Achieving that beautiful, perfectly baked chocolate chip cookie, has taken me decades of practice. So I wanted to pass along my Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies tips and easy steps after hundreds of batches of cookies.
Everyone loves Chocolate chip cookies but they can be difficult for some bakers to master. With just one little change to the recipe or baking time, your chocolate chip cookies can come out of the oven with disappointment. With the following steps and tips, you will be able to bake the perfect chocolate chip cookies.
This week I have made over 100 chocolate chip cookies in hopes that they will bring a smile to my friends and neighbors. I hope you will use these tips to bring smiles to others too.
Please Share This Post
If you enjoy reading my post, please share it. GO to the social media buttons on the far left side of this post on your computer and share with your family and friends. If you are on your iPhone, the share buttons are at the very bottom of the screen.
Room Temperature Butter
Handle The Butter With Care
When baking cookies, the most common mistakes made by home bakers have to do with the care and handling of butter.
Your butter needs to be at room temperature. You should be able to press your finger into the butter and leave a SLIGHT dent. What if you are like me and make a last minute decision to make chocolate chip cookies? YES! You can use your microwave to soften your butter. BE CAREFUL! It is so easy to over-soften butter in the microwave. If this happens, get another stick of butter. DO NOT USE too soft butter in your chocolate chip cookies. If you are going to microwave your butter, do it for 10 seconds and test it. If it needs longer, flip it over and microwave for 5 more seconds.
- When baking cookies, the most common mistakes made by home bakers, professionals say, have to do with the care and handling of butter.
STEP 1: Whip The Unsalted Butter
With an electric mixer, whip the butter until it is light and fluffy. You can put your mixer on high at this point. Use unsalted butter in your cookies. This way you can control the amount of salt you add to your cookies. You can use salted butter but you may have to decrease the salt in your chocolate chip cookie recipe.
STEP 2: Add The Shortening
Shortening generally makes baked goods softer which is why I love to add both butter and shortening.
STEP 3: Add Your Sugars To The Whipped Butter
- I use a combination of both white and brown sugar. You can use dark brown or light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar has more molasses in it. It will slightly change the flavor of your cookie. I personally love it but most people use light brown sugar in their chocolate chip cookies.
STEP 4: Add Your Eggs
- The eggs need to be at room temperature. If you made a last minute decision to bake cookies and did not take your eggs out of the refrigerator to get room temperature, run them under warm water.
- With your electric mixer on medium, add your eggs just until incorporated. My recipe calls for two eggs and two egg yolks.
STEP 5: ADD PURE VANILLA AFTER THE EGGS
- Use Pure Vanilla or Pure Vanilla Paste! Do not use Immetation Vanilla!
STEP 6: Flour
- Pour about a half of a bag of all-purpose flour in a large bowl.
- Using a whisk, whisk your flour to break up lumps and make it light and fluffy.
- Measure your whisked flour in a dry measuring cup.
- Level the flour off even with the top of the measuring cup.
- Do this until you have reached the total amount of flour for your chocolate chip cookie recipe needs.
- With the mixer on LOW, add your flour to your butter, shortening, and egg mixture.
Do not over mix the flour!
Add half of your flour and mix a few turns with your mixture. Do not totally mix in the first half of the flour. Next, add the other half of the flour and mix until you no longer see it.
STEP 7: Add A Little Cornstarch With The Flour
Cornstarch not only thicken sauces and other liquids, but it can be used in baked goods too. Cornstarch used in combination with flour works somehow with the proteins to make baked goods more tender
Level off your cornstarch and baking soda just like you would do your flour.
STEP 8: Turn Mixer Off
Scrap down the sizes of your mixer to incorporate any flour stuck on the sides of your blow.
STEP 9: Add your chocolate chips
Use a large spoon to mix in your chocolate chips. I use a combination of semi-sweet chocolate chunks and chocolate chips. You can use dark chocolate or milk chocolate depending on your preference. This will affect the taste.
For my chocolate chip recipe, you will need two-12 ounce bags of chocolate chips. This equals about 4 cups of chocolate chips. You can always mix your chocolate. I have used white chocolate, semi-sweet, dark chocolate, milk chocolate or a combination of chocolate chips. I always grab my open bags of chocolate chips first and use them.
STEP 10: Prepare One Of The Following Cookie Sheets
- Use a non-stick baking sheet like Gotham Steel baking pan
- If you do not have a non-stick cookie sheet, use parchment paper. I love parchment paper when baking. Once you remove the cookies from the oven, just slide the parchment paper off the baking sheet. This will allow them to cool.
- If you have a silicone mat that can go into the oven, use it. It will also help your the bottoms of your cookies come out perfectly without sticking.
STEP 11: Make Same Size Cookie Dough Balls
- Use an ice cream scoop when scooping out your cookies. This way they will all be the same size and will bake evenly.
- Any size ice cream scoop will work. I have a tablespoons size scoop for mini cookies, regular ice cream scoop (1/4 size), and a 1/3 cup ice cream cup for my larger cookies.
STEP 12: Chill The Cookie Dough
Chill the cookie dough at least an hour or longer in the refrigerator. THIS STEP IS MANDATORY! Chilling the dough will keep your cookies from spreading too thin.
STEP 13: Bake Your Cookies
Do not overcook your cookies. Baking time will depend on your oven. Once you have baked a batch of cookies, record the time. The next time you bake chocolate chip cookies you can simply set your oven. Once you remove the cookies from the oven, they will continue to bake.
Bake 375 degrees for 23 minutes if using a 1/3 cup ice cream scoop.
Bake 15 minutes if using a regular size 1/4 cup ice cream scoop.
Cook one pan of cookies at a time. When you cook two pans, they do not cook evenly.
Freezing Cookie Dough
Scoop raw cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can put the cookies close together on the baking sheet when freezing them. If you scoop the cookie dough out first and then freeze it, you do not have a problem with the dough being as hard as a rock and you cannot scoop it out of a container. After scooping out the cookie dough, place the baking pan in the freezer until they are frozen. Place frozen cookies into large freezer zip lock bags and store in the freezer. When frozen, they do not spread out when baking but will require a little more time to bake.
This post contains affiliate links below. I will make a small commission if you purchase these products BUT it will not cost you any extra money.
Please see my disclosure.
For your convenience, below are the products used in this post.
- COOKIE SHEET SET
- MINI SERVING SPATULA
- ADJUSTABLE MEASURING SPOON SET
- MEASURING CUP SET
- TEAK WOODEN SPOON
- MEDIUM ICE CREAM SCOOP
- GOTHAM STEEL – NON-STICK COOKIE SHEETS Made with Titanium & Steel
- DOUGHEZ SILICONE MATS
- COOKIE CUTTERS
TIPS FOR MAKING PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon baking soda
- One teaspoon salt
- One tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 TB pure vanilla
- Two whole eggs
- Two egg yolks
- 1 – 11-ounce bag of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
- 1 – 11-ounce bag of Milk Chocolate chips
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the soft butter and shortening
- Mix in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until very creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the pure vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients which you sifted JUST until blended. Do not over mix.
- Mix the white chocolate and milk chocolate chips in by hand.
- Use an ice cream scoop and drop cookies onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Place the pan of cookie dough in the freezer at least 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake 375 degrees for 24 minutes if using a 1/3 cup ice cream scoop.
- Bake 15 minutes if using a regular size 1/4 cup ice cream scoop. If cookies are frozen, bake 2- minutes. Makes 36 regular size ice scoop size cookies.
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Have a Fabulous Week!
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Other Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes You Should Try
- PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES TIPS
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- M & M MEGA COOKIES
- WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA COOKIES
- S’MORES COOKIES
- MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- LOADED SMORES SKILLET COOKIE
- ONE SKILLET ROLO SKILLET COOKIE
- CHOCOLATE! M & M SKILLET COOKIE
- CANDY BAR SKILLET COOKIE LEFTOVER CANDY
- CHOCOLATE CHIP PARADISE SKILLET COOKIE
- BUTTERSCOTCH TOFFEE SKILLET COOKIE
- BUTTERFINGER OATMEAL COOKIES
- OATMEAL COOKIES PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- OATMEAL CREAM COOKIES
- BEST OATMEAL TOFFEE COOKIES
- OATMEAL BUTTERSCOTCH TOFFEE COOKIES
- OATMEAL TURTLE COOKIES
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.