Be sure to attend the Culinary & Craft School while visiting Silver Dollar City Theme Park. This post explains why attending the culinary school is one of my favorite things to do at Silver Dollar City.
Sit back and relax while learning from Master Craftsman of Culinary Arts – Debbie Dance Uhrig. She cooks up amazing dishes for entertaining quests at Silver Dollar City’s beautiful culinary school.
First Of All:
I could not wait to share my experience at Silver Dollar City’s Culinary School with you. Because visiting Silver Dollar City theme park is one of my favorite things to do, I added a second post on my travel blog, Our American Travels, with additional information about the park and Silver Dollar City’s Craft & Cowboy festival.
More about Silver Dollar City on Our American Travels.
Second Of All: Full Disclosure
My family and I purchase season tickets to Silver Dollar City Theme Park every year, but our tickets to the Culinary School were given to me. Although Silver Dollar City gave me the tickets, this post includes my real thoughts on the Culinary School and the park. This vacation to Branson and Silver Dollar City was not my first visit to Debbie’s class. I have experienced it many times in the last decade. As a foodie, I know how much fun it is to visit. I was thrilled to experience it again.
Silver Dollar City Theme Park’s Culinary Classes
You can find one-hour culinary classes at Silver Dollar City Theme Park’s Culinary & Craft School. To get in the park, you will need a one-day admission ticket or a season pass for park entry. The Culinary school runs about 60 minutes and is worth every bit of the additional $15 price. You not only learn how to prepare the recipes, but you get to sample each recipe on the menu too.
Culinary School’s Wraparound Porch
The beautiful kitchen and classroom is a classic farmhouse complete with a welcoming wraparound porch. You can grab a seat in one of the rocking chairs and take in the stunning views from the porch. It overlooks Echo Hollow® Amphitheatre.
Classroom Culinary Classes
As you can see in the picture below, the culinary class sits in tiered seating to observe every detail of the delicious recipes. Each recipe made by Debbie Dance is prepared before your eyes in the kitchen. The kitchen is a dream kitchen that is stocked with the best of the best of everything. One of the things I noticed while enjoying my culinary experience was the beautiful Viking appliances.
Menu Culinary Classes
Each day during the week features a different menu. We visited the Culinary School in October during the Cowboy Festival. For a complete schedule of the recipes, see the Culinary School schedule. On the day my family and I visited, we enjoyed a fabulous Wild Rice Soup with a delicious smoky appetizer. Debbie not only taught us how to make the appetizer and the Wild Rice Soup but also how to use an indoor smoker. My husband has a large smoker in our backyard. Jerry enjoys smoking meat but he rarely has time to use it. We were both thrilled to learn how to use an indoor smoker. He even learned how to smoke cheese which is his all-time favorite smoked food.
SMOKED CHEESE FROM SILVER DOLLAR CITY CULINARY CLASSES Recipe Type: Appetizer Cuisine: American Author: Recipes for our Daily Bread Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 5 mins Total time: 15 mins
- Two tablespoons hickory chips
- For a milder flavor use an alder or fruitwood
- 4 – 8-ounce blocks of cheese
- vegetable spray
- Cameron Stovetop Smoker
- *Before smoking the cheese, wrap each blog of cheese in aluminum foil, leaving the top open.
- Spray the foil with a little cooking spray before wrapping the cheese.
- Place two tablespoons of hickory chips in the bottom of a dry smoker, leave them in a pile.
- Slide the cover on the smoker, leaving a small gap.
- Place smoker over medium heat and wait for a good showing of smoke to pour from the opening.
- Slide the lid off and set the four blocks of cheese inside and close the lid completely.
- Allow it to smoke over medium heat 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the smoker from the heat.
- Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate in a Ziploc bag or airtight container.
Master Craftsman At Silver Dollar City Culinary School
Debbie Dance Uhrig is the master craftsman at the culinary school at Silver Dollar City. Debbie’s culinary classes are a lot of fun. You can tell she has a love for cooking. She encourages everyone to get in the kitchen and put their spin on the recipes she shares. Debbie has a masters degree in teaching. This background makes her perfect for teaching everyone how to prepare her recipes. Debbie is the author of two cookbooks, The Covered Dish and Simply Yours.
Do Not Miss Debbie’s Culinary Treats During Christmas at Silver Dollar City
SILVER DOLLAR CITY NATIONAL CRAFTS & COWBOY FESTIVAL (September 13 – October 28)
The Home of American Craftsmanship presents the nation’s largest festival of demonstrating craftsmen. You will also enjoy entertainment and activities saluting the Great American Cowboy:
- Over 125 visiting craftsmen from around the country display their art, including Best of Missouri Hands juried artists, all joining Silver Dollar City’s 100 demonstrating craftsmen.
- Silver Dollar City’s Wild West Show features trick riders, Native American dance with 8-time World Champion Native American Hoop Dancer Nakotah LaRance, comedy canines, and trick roper and bullwhip artist A.J. Silver.
- Legendary Western actor and watercolor artist Buck Taylor hosts “Buck Taylor’s Cowboy Emporium,” featuring a variety of Western crafts.
- Plus Chuck Wagon & Food Network Chef Kent Rollins and Extreme Mustangs are featured in the Red Gold courtyard.
- A Western Barn Dance is a whole lot of fun with a live band.
- You will enjoy Western music by The Malpass Brothers, The Home Rangers, Belinda Gail and Kristyn Harris, 2016 Western Music Association Entertainer of the Year.
The nation’s pioneer culinary heritage comes to life with campfire cooking and cowboy cuisine, including Cowboy Beef Stew and Dutch Oven Desserts.
Don’t Forget To Stop By Our American Travels. You Will Find Additional Information About Silver Dollar City & their Crafts & Cowboy Festival.
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Have a Fabulous Week!
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Thank you for visiting! Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.