If you Are looking for an easy way to use the abundance of fresh squash and zucchini, you will love this flavorful Skillet Squash Zucchini with Mushrooms.
We love this skillet squash zucchini side dish. I typically used three squash and three zucchini, but it makes enough for ten people to have a significant portion.
Did you know Squash is a fruit?
Even though it is eaten as a savory dish, squash contains seeds and is considered a fruit. The same goes for cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants, and pumpkin.
Did you know Zucchini is a Squash?
Zucchini is popular summer squash. Zucchini takes on the flavor of spices, which makes it perfect for sauteing, steaming, grilling, or even baking.
Try using zucchini as a low-carb substitute for noodles or even fries.
How to Store Your Zucchini/Squash in Your Refrigerator?
When placing your zucchini in your refrigerator, do not wash it. Place dry, whole and unwashed zucchini or squash in a paper bag with one end open. Place the bag in the refrigerator crisper drawer. Your zucchini will keep for a week before shriveling up.
Just in case you have droopy zucchini in your garden, here are a few tips.
How to Water Your Zucchini?
It is all about the water. Water your zucchini frequently! Watering when your zucchini starts forming is essential. The soil needs to be moist at least four inches down.
Zucchini needs full sun, which means you will need to water often. Place your figure in the soil several inches down if it feels dry, water your zucchini.
Grow Your Zucchini from Seeds
Did you know you can easily grow zucchini from the seeds? You do not have to start the seeds indoors. Plant the seeds directly in your garden.
How to pick zucchini?
Choose zucchinis that are six to eight inches long. Zucchini should be dark green and smooth. If the skin is slightly shriveled, it is not a freshly picked zucchini.
Uses For Frozen Zucchini
Adding zucchini to my soups and casseroles is my favorite way to use my zucchini. The excellent news is frozen zucchini works perfectly in soups and casseroles. Besides soups and casseroles, try frozen zucchini in the following:
- Zucchini Bread
- Frittatas or even an omelet
How to Freeze Zucchini
- Begin by washing your zucchini.
- Next, cut off both ends.
- Give zucchini a quick bath in boiling water. Blanching will keep it from getting mushy and discolored.
- After a minute, remove the zucchini from the boiling water and place them in ice water for a minute.
- Next, dry the zucchini well and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- After placing the zucchini on a baking sheet, put it in the freezer.
- Once it is frozen, remove the zucchini and place it in a freezer bag.
Do you peel zucchini before freezing?
After you trim off the ends, there is no need to peel zucchini. Many of the nutrients are in the skin. If you want to peel it, use a vegetable peeler. Before freezing your zucchini, think about how you will be using it. You can slice it into rounds, dices, or even chunks.
Is overgrown zucchini still good?
Pick or purchase medium size zucchinis, but overgrown zucchini is still edible. Some large zucchinis might have tougher skin. It is best to use it in bread, cakes, muffins, casseroles, and soups.
Can you freeze zucchini without blanching it?
You can freeze zucchini without blanching it. The secret is shredding it. Chop off the ends of your zucchini. Use a grater or food processor. You can also make zoodles and freeze them. After your shred or grate it, you can place it in a ziplock bag. Separate it into one or two cups in each freezer bag.
First Step: To Make Skillet Squash Zucchini
Third Step: Butter and Oil
Fourth Step: Garlic and Onions
Be sure to check out the following recipes:
Skillet Squash Zucchini
- Slice the Squash and Zucchini and cut each slice in half.
- Chop the onion into tiny pieces.
- Sliced the mushrooms.
- Heat up the butter and olive oil.
- Saute the garlic and onion.
- Once the onions are tender, add the mushrooms and cook until tender.
- The mushrooms will absorb most of the oil and butter.
- You may need to add another tablespoon of oil.
- Add the Squash and Zucchini and cook until fork tender.
- Add the Italian season, salt and pepper.
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash Salad
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.