Sloppy Joes remind me of my childhood. This version is much better. The onion and bell pepper make it really fresh and tasty.
I ate Sloppy Joes growing up, but the Sloppy Joe sauce I ate was from a can. This Sloppy Joe recipe is from scratch. It is much better than eating the canned stuff I grew up on. The onion and bell pepper make it really fresh and tasty! My kids, on the other hand, have never had a Sloppy Joe. I have never thought about making them from scratch and I rarely buy instant or prepackaged food of any kind for the simple reason that I have to watch my salt intake. Also, making things from scratch or homemade just taste so much better than preparing food from a can. When the ingredients are fresh, even simple foods like homemade Sloppy Joes taste like you spent all day preparing it. The extra effort of preparing food makes a world of difference in the taste.
I recently found this recipe in a cookbook called MeMa’s Manna Recipes for the Busy Person by Mary Boll. While I was on vacation in Branson, MO, I came across this wonderful cookbook. MeMa’s Sloppy Joe Recipe was not only delicious but extremely easy. I will definitely be making Sloppy Joes again, especially on busy days. You can prepare the Sloppy Joes in a large skillet on top of the stove in less than 30 minutes. I decided to brown the ground beef in my pressure cooker, add all the ingredients, and then cooked it for 10 minutes. Either way, it is extremely fast to prepare and delicious.
If you follow my blog, you know how much I love to have a plan for dinner and I also love to use my crock-pot. This is a great recipe when you simply do not have time to plan a meal ahead of time. Even though I blog about recipes and plan for at least 5 meals per week, I still have at least one meal each week where I need something really quick. Yes, I was truly in a hurry while preparing these Sloppy Joes which is why you only see one picture.
Normally, you would see a step by step video or step by step pictures with each recipe. My son plays high school baseball. He has had many games 1 to 3 hours away, rescheduled games due to rain, and double headers. It is really difficult to plan for meals when this happens. It helps to have something extremely quick and easy.
Sloppy Joes from Scratch Recipe – I added a little extra ketchup and some Montreal Steak seasoning.
SLOPPY JOES FROM SCRATCH MAKE CHILDHOOD MEMORIES
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion chopped (chop extremely fine if your children will pick at them)
- 1/4 cup green pepper chopped (chop exceptionally fine if your children will pick at them)
- Two tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup catsup (original recipe had 1/2 cup)
- Two tablespoons yellow mustard
- One tablespoon sugar
- One teaspoon granulated garlic - next time I am going to try a couple of cloves of chopped garlic
- Two teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Brown ground beef, onion and bell pepper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Spoon onto a hamburger bun. This sandwich is normally eaten open faced using a fork.
- I prepared the Sloppy Joes in my pressure cooker.
- Brown the meat in the pressure cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Seal the pressure cooker up.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Spoon onto hamburger buns.
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.