This Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham Potato Soup is so simple to make. It is a fantastic meat and potato hearty meal. I loaded it up with sausage, ham, potatoes, and cheese.
I have made Ham Potato Soup for years but never thought about making it in my slow cooker. To make this soup, I usually precook the potatoes on top of the stove for this soup. Precooking the potatoes is an unnecessary step when preparing potato soup in a slow cooker. Using my slow cooker, I make a Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup.
Cheesy Ham Potato Soup
This time I decided to replace the bacon with sausage and added some ham. I browned the sausage and tossed it into the slow cooker. Next, I cut my raw potatoes up and threw them in the bottom of my slow cooker. I added all the rest of the ingredients and let the slow cooker do all the work. It was not only much easier to make but delicious and perfect for a cold winter night. If you want warm meat and potatoes hearty meal, this Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham Potato Soup is excellent.
The primary purpose of Recipes for our Daily Bread is to encourage families to cook together and eat around the table together. For a busy family, cooking and eating around the table together can be a tough challenge. Try using your slow cooker more often and see if it will help with this challenge.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more).
Please see my disclosure.
The following items were used to make this recipe.
Just for Fun: Collegiate Slow CookerPrint
- 7 large raw potatoes, cubed (you can peel them or wash them well and leave the peeling on)
- 2 medium onions, chopped very fine (I chop mine in my mini food processor)
- 1 pound ground sausage, browned
- 1 pound ham, chopped into small pieces (I use Petit Jean Hickory Smoked Ham)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- Plus, one half teaspoon pepper
- And, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- One half teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups Sharp Shredded cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Wash the potatoes and leave the skins on OR peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes and toss them into the slow cooker.
- Combine all ingredients in a large slow cooker, except the cheese, flour and half & half.
- After a couple of hours of cooking, take a cup of liquid out of the soup and add 1/4 cup of flour to it.
- Whisk it vigorously until smooth.
- Stir it back into the soup.
- Cover and cook on high 3 hours or low 5 hours.
- Add the heavy cream and cheese for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Use a large dutch oven if you do not have a 6 or 7-quart slow cooker. Depending on the size of your potatoes, it will fill up a slow cooker.
Thank you for visiting! Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.