What happens when you mix southern cornbread with southwestern flavors? You get this delicious flavorful Southwestern Cornbread Salad.
What do you need to make this Cornbread Salad?
You will need cornbread, whole kernel corn, black beans, bell pepper, red onion, fresh tomato, bacon, boiled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, Ranch dressing, Mexican seasoning, and Salsa.
This is my version of the Cornbread Salad I grew up eating. My Southwestern Cornbread Salad includes black beans instead of the usually pinto beans, plus corn, bell pepper, purple onion, chopped tomato, grated cheddar cheese, sliced eggs, and a dressing combination of Ranch dressing, Salsa, and Mexican or Fajita seasoning. Cornbread salad usually has pinto beans in it and is topped with Ranch dressing. My husband said this salad is a southwestern, southern cornbread salad. Whatever you want to call it, it turned out to be a delicious combination. Use a large bowl. This salad feeds a crowd.
If serving this cornbread salad as a side dish, it will serve at least 20 people.
- You can reduce the amount of this salad by using one can of corn and one can of black beans.
- If you are not a southwestern fan, top this salad with Ranch dressing.
- Make a homemade cornbread or use a 16-ounce box cornbread.
Mix the Ranch, salsa, and the Mexican seasoning. Add this to the top of the salad. Let the salad rest in the refrigerator for about an hour. The dressing will run down to the bottom of the salad. Next, Add the cheese on top. Serve extra dressing on the side if needed. The first time I made this salad, I added 1 1/2 cups of dressing. The salad was a little too soggy. I think a cup of dressing is perfect.
Southwestern Cornbread Salad
- A Skillet of Cornbread see my recipe or 16 ounces boxed cornbread, baked
- 2 cans Whole Kernel Corn drained
- 2 cans Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped small
- 1/2 red onion chopped small
- 1 large fresh tomato chopped
- 8 pieces of bacon cooked hard and crumbled
- 4 boiled eggs sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 3/4 Salsa
- 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning
- Crumble the cornbread in a large bowl, save about 1 cup of cornbread to garnish on top.
- Add the drained corn and black beans.
- Pour half of the dressing on top.
- Chop the bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes and add to the salad.
- Cook & Crumble the bacon and add it to the salad.
- Slice 4 boiled eggs and layer in the salad.
- Add the rest of the dressing.
- Top with 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Add a cup of the crumbled cornbread to the top of the salad.
- Mix ranch dressing, and salsa, plus two teaspoons Mexican seasoning.
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.