What manly food do we like to eat while watching football games?
This Steak Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Mushroom Gravy is perfect.
Casey, my oldest son, always has suggestions for what to eat while watching football games. This steak sandwich is one of his favorites. The hoagie roll is toasted and cheesy. The steak is sliced super thin and tender. The Onions are caramelized, and both the onions and mushrooms are smothered in a rich, tasty gravy. It is the best steak sandwich.
Messy but Delicious
I will honestly admit it can be very messy, especially if you pile on the onion and mushroom gravy. You can add a reasonable amount of gravy and pick this sandwich up fine. If you love this gravy as much as we do, you will enjoy piling it up high on top of the steak. If you do this, the gravy will be running all down your arms. You may need to use a fork. Using a fork is how we eat this steak sandwich most of the time unless we have company.
Living in the South, SEC Football
My husband, myself, and our children were born all over the South including Tennessee, Georgia, and my home state of Alabama. We have also lived in Florida, Louisiana, and our current state of Arkansas. So, football gets pretty intense in my home. You may wonder who I cheer for. I started not to tell you because I do not want to lose any followers, but ROLL TIDE ROLL and GO SAINTS GO!
“Can we have this?” list
No matter what football team you cheer for, you can enjoy watching football even more with this delicious Steak, Onion, and Mushroom Gravy Sandwich. This Steak Sandwich is always on Casey’s, “Can we have this?” list. Other foods we enjoy while watching football games include Bison Sliders, Bison Steak, Chili, Chili Dogs, Turkey Chili, Oven Cheeseburger Sliders, , Gumbo, Crab and Corn Bisque, and more.
Steak Sandwich - Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- ONION & MUSHROOM GRAVY
- Two large onions sliced thin
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 TB Worcestershire
- One teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon pepper
- One tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- STEAK & SANDWICH
- 2 pounds of lean beef tenderloin or sirloin sliced very thin
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil to cook beef
- Five cloves minced Fresh garlic
- One tablespoon Steak Seasoning Montreal Steak seasoning
- Six slices Provolone or Swiss sliced cheese
- Six soft Italian Hoagie Rolls
- 4 to 6 Tablespoons butter to toast Rolls
- Slice the steak as thin as possible.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Butter or Mayo the Hoagie Rolls.
- Bake about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Add a piece of cheese to one side of the Hoagie and return to the oven.
- Remove from the oven when melted.
- Heat Olive Oil and one tablespoon of butter in a pan and add thinly sliced onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté 10 minutes stirring several times until onions are soft and caramelized and then add the garlic.
- Saute the onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add three tablespoons Worcestershire, dried thyme and mushrooms.
- Stir in 3/4 cup heavy cream and 3/4 beef broth.
- In a separate pan, heat Olive Oil (you could use butter) over medium high heat and add beef in a single layer.
- Season well steak seasoning.
- You may have to cook the beef in two batches.
- Cook the beef for about 3 minutes on each side.
- ASSEMBLE the steak sandwiches.
- Add some mayo or horseradish to each side of the rolls.
- Add some beef, onions and mushroom gravy and enjoy!
- The onion and mushroom sauce is delicious, but if you add too much to your sandwich, you will have to use a fork to eat it with.
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.