I prepared Debbie Macomber’s Lemon Poppy Seed Cake and her Three Cheese Scalloped Potatoes from her Christmas cookbook.
You probably already know that Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She has written over 100 novels including the very popular Cedar Cove series. I reviewed her Cedar Cove Cookbook and just loved it. I was thrilled when I was given the opportunity to review and GIVEAWAY a copy of Debbie Macomber’s Christmas Cookbook.
What did I think about Debbie Macomber’s Christmas Cookbook?
I prepared Debbie’s Lemon Poppy Seed Cake and her Three Cheese Scalloped Potatoes. Both the Lemon Poppy Seed Cake and these Three Cheese Scalloped Potatoes were the best I have ever had. I will probably try several other recipes from this cookbook this Christmas that is how much I enjoy it. Each category was filled with recipes with a little different twist on them. Debbie’s Christmas cookbook categories include:
- Merry Morning Breakfast
- Christmas Tea
- Christmas and Christmas Eve Dinner
- And, Christmas Desserts
- Christmas Gifts
- Cooking with Grandma
- Easy Family Dinners
Debbie’s Three Cheese Scalloped Potatoes are fantastic!
They not only have three different kinds of cheese but have a touch of nutmeg with some onion, garlic, milk, and butter. They are perfect to prepare ahead of time. The morning you plan on serving these potatoes remove them from the refrigerator and place at room temperature. Heat up the casserole before serving.
This contest is open to U.S. residents and will end on Sunday, November 24, 2013. The winner will be notified by email. They will have 48 hours to reply.
Debbie Macomber gave me this Christmas Cookbook to give away. However, the opinions I am expressing are indeed 100% my own.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads & Sandwiches
Join 5,000 people who receive our newsletter and download these recipes FREE.
Three Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Two tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper to taste – I used 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-3/4 to 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all cheeses into a bowl
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic, salt, & pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Stirring.
- Gradually pour in the whole milk.
- Bring the milk to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook 3 minutes. Do not scald the milk.
- Add in the ground nutmeg.
- Butter or spray with a cooking spray the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Layer half of the potato slices in the baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 of the milk on top of the potatoes.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Top with the remaining half of the potatoes.
- Add the rest of the milk.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and add the rest of the cheeses.
- Bake for another 45 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.