This Turtle Cake is made using a devil’s food cake mix, fudge, caramel, pecans, Cool Whip and Rolo’s. It is easy and delicious.
Easy Cake Mix Desserts
Often when I make a dessert, I begin with a cake mix. To make my Heath Bar Poke Cake, Coconut Cake, Boston Cream Poke Cake, and Triple Chocolate Cake I start with a cake mix. Desserts are always better to me when they are not only amazing, but they did not require a whole lot of time. My blog is full of delicious, easy recipes that everyone can prepare. We just do not have a whole lot of time to spend in the kitchen, but we all still have a deep desire to have quality family time around the table full of mouth-watering recipes.
Inspiration From Turtle Sundae’s
My family jokes with me often when ordering an ice cream treat. They give me a difficult time about ordering a Turtle Sundae and never trying anything else. A turtle sundae is filling with ice cream or yogurt. Next, it is topped with lots of hot fudge, caramel, and buttery pecans with whipped topping. To me, nothing is better.
Freddy’s or Shake’s
If you have Freddy’s or Shake’s in your area, you will have to try their Turtle Sundae. Freddy’s and Shake’s top their Turtle Sundae with buttery crunchy pecans plus ooey-gooey hot fudge and caramel. Both of these sundaes are the best sundaes ever. I decided to turn my love for a turtle sundae into an easy turtle poke cake. I topped my turtle poke cake with Rolo minis and buttery pecans. Toasting pecans bring out the flavor like you have never tasted a pecan before. They are terrific! If you have never tried toasting your pecans, you are missing a huge treat.
Inspiration From A Bag of Rolo Mini’s
If you are ever in my area, chances are you will run into me at the grocery store. It is seriously my second home or my home away from home. I make a grocery list and stick to it, but I love reading about new products. After I learn about new products, I go home and think about how I could use them. Thinking about Rolo mini’s is how I got my inspiration for this Turtle Cake.
The Candy Aisle
My favorite aisle in the store is the candy aisle. I seriously dream about what dessert I can create with candy. When I saw this bag of Rolo minis, I had to make something with these cute babies. I finally decided to try them on this turtle cake. They worked perfectly to top off this turtle cake with the buttery pecans. To dress up this turtle cake, I served it with a scoop of ice cream and additional caramel drizzled over it.
Turtle Cake Tips
- Use a whisk and break up the clumps before adding any other ingredient to the cake mix.
- Spread cake evenly in the baking pan for a more even cake.
- Tap the cake on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Allow cake to completely cool completely in the refrigerator before adding the Cool Whip.
- Watch the pecans extremely close while roasting in the oven. Pecans do not take long to roast and they burn easy.
- Cool the pecans completely before adding to the cake.
- After adding the Cool Whip and toppings, refrigerate cake at least a couple of hours before cutting it. Overnight would be better.
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- One 15.25 ounce box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- And One - jar Caramel Topping
- And One 11.75 ounce jar Fudge Topping
- Plus One container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- One bag mini Rolos
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Prepare and cook cake mix according to the directions.
- Bake the cake mix in a 9 x 13 cake pan according to package about 35 min.
- Melt the butter and toss the pecans in it.
- Bake the pecans on a baking sheet 350 degrees for 25 min or until golden. Watch the pecans they burn easily.
- Allow pecans to cool.
- Poke holes in the cake with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour half the jar of caramel topping over the cake.
- Pour half the jar of fudge topping over the cake with the caramel.
- Allow cake to completely cool.
- Add the 8-ounce tub of whipped topping. Spread it over the cake like a frosting.
- Add the pecans and 2 cups of mini Rolos.
- Place cake in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours.
- Serve with additional caramel and fudge, the other half of the jars, drizzled over the cake.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.