Zucchini Lasagna is a delicious, low-carb, lasagna that is loaded with vegetables; it’s SOOO flavorful you won’t miss the pasta!
This Zucchini Lasagna is great for anyone on a low carb diet, wants to eat healthier, OR who has so many zucchinis; they don’t know what to do with them. This lasagna is made with not only zucchini but spinach and onions too. The zucchini is sliced thin on a mandoline and use instead of noodles. The vegetables make it a healthier meal and a terrific, flavorful way to hide vegetables.
To help you make this zucchini lasagna, I added a video plus step by step instructions. This recipe was inspired by my ITALIAN ZUCCHINI BOATS.
The Italian Zucchini Boats are made using similar ingredients but are not layered. Because they are layered, they are easier to make but with the same fabulous flavors as this Zucchini Lasagna.
Food to me is all about tastes, and this Zucchini Lasagna will not disappoint you. To make this lasagna easier prepare, I used a store bought low carb spaghetti sauce and kicked it up. The flavor comes from Italian ground hot sausage, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
This Zucchini Lasagna is low carb, but you could make this recipe lower fat by substituting the ground beef and ground hot sausage for ground turkey. Turkey has a lot less flavor so, you will need to increase your seasonings a LOT. When I use ground turkey in any of my recipes like my extremely popular Turkey Chili, I almost double the seasonings. I have found when I up the seasonings a whole lot the turkey is not only healthier for you but delicious.
I am a big fan of Italian Hot Sausage. Therefore, it is my meat of choice in the zucchini lasagna. Ground hot sausage has lots of flavor and spice already in it.
Step 1: Cook And Brown Ground Beef And Sausage
After you preheat the oven to 350 degrees, cook the ground beef and sausage. On medium-high heat in a large skillet, brown both the ground beef and the ground sausage. You can brown them together.
Step 2: Add The Onions
Use a mini food processor, and dice the onion finely. You can also do it with a knife.
Step 3: Add The Seasonings
Stir in low carb spaghetti sauce, garlic, and Chef Paul Pizza and Pasta Magic or your favorite Italian seasoning and mix well.
Step 4: Layer Meat Sauce
Layer 1/2 of meat sauce in the bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish.
Step 5: Spinach
Add a layer of fresh spinach over meat sauce.
Step 6: Slice Zucchini
Using a mandolin, slice the zucchini 1/4 of an inch thick.
Step 7: Layer Zucchini
Layer 1/2 the slices of zucchini on top of the meat sauce and sprinkle it with garlic and salt.
Step 7: Mozzarella Cheese
Add a layer of Mozzarella cheese on top of the zucchini.
Step 8: Add Second Layer
Continue to layer the other half of meat sauce, zucchini, granulated garlic, and salt.
Step 7: Combine The Cheeses
Combine the Riccoto cheese, beaten eggs, and parmesan cheese.
Step 8: Add the Riccoto Mixture
Put the Riccoto cheese and egg mixture on top of the last layer of zucchini.
Step 9: Mozzarella Cheese
Cover the top with additional mozzarella cheese about a cup.
Step 10: Bake 350 degrees about 45 to 50 minutes
Cover with foil and cook on 350 degrees for 45 minutes. The time will depend on how thick you cut the zucchini slices. When the lasagna bubbles around the edges, it should be done.
ULTIMATE ZUCCHINI LASAGNA
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 3 large zucchini sliced thin
- One large onion finely chopped
- 24- ounce low carb spaghetti sauce YES! They make low carb spaghetti sauce.
- Two teaspoons Italian seasoning - I use Paul Prudhomme's Pizza Pasta Magic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Two teaspoons granulated garlic
- Two handfuls or cups of fresh baby spinach
- CHEESE LAYER
- Two eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- TOP WITH;
- Add a cup of mozzarella cheese covering the top
- Cook and brown ground beef and sausage.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Stir in low carb spaghetti sauce salt, and Chef Paul Pizza and Pasta Magic or your favorite Italian seasoning.
- Mix well.
- Layer 1/2 of meat sauce in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Put 1/2 slice zucchini.
- Combine the cheeses and put 1/2 of the mixture over the noodles.
- Layer of fresh spinach over cheese mixture.
- Continue to layer 1/2 meat sauce, 1/2 zucchini, and fresh spinach for three total layers.
- Cover the top with additional mozzarella cheese about 1 cup.
- Season the top with Chef Paul Pizza and Pasta Magic or your favorite Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours or until bubbly.
- When the lasagna bubbles around the edges, turn it on warm until you are ready to eat it.
- If you make this in a 9×13 baking dish, cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Have a Fabulous Week!
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.