What makes a good Coleslaw is a little bit of vinegar and a little bit of sugar?
WHAT MAKES BEST COLESLAW? SECRETS
I have found that sweet relish which already includes a little vinegar and sugar makes a delicious Cole Slaw. This coleslaw is creamy, slightly sweet, and has a somewhat tangy flavor. It has a great balance between sweet and tanginess. If you are thinking about leaving the red/purple onion out, do not. It adds a lot to this coleslaw. This coleslaw makes a delicious topping or side to many dishes like BBQ, BBQ sandwiches, fried chicken, fish tacos, chili dogs, Reubens, or most any other home-cooked favorites. If you are looking for a quick side dish to compliment your favorite recipes or to take on your picnic try this easy coleslaw.
Use ONE of the followings for the cabbage:
- One head cabbage, finely shredded with two shredded carrots.
- 2 – 1 pound bags, finely shredded slaw with carrots.
- One pound bag of freshly shredded slaw and 1 pound broccoli slaw. I like using the combination with the broccoli. It holds the crunch.
Having a delicate balance in life is very challenging for moms. We are daily called to wear many hats. We get pulled from one thing to the next especially if we have several children. Our challenge is to try always to put God first. Spend a few minutes with God each day reading a chapter or just a verse from God’s Word and dwell or meditate on it. Spend time with Him in prayer each day. He will balance the rest of our day. Somehow, it always works.
Ezell’s Catfish Camp has great Cole Slaw
They have several restaurants in my home state of Alabama. I was thrilled to see that Southern Living Off The Eaten Path Cookbook included Ezell’s Catfish Camp’s Coleslaw and Hush Puppies in their cookbook. This slaw is sweet, creamy, easy, and genuinely delicious.
What Makes A Good Coleslaw?
- 1/2 cup sweet cube pickles I use 1/2 cup pickle relish Since I use sweet pickle relish, I do not add sugar to the original recipe.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small chopped onion Red or Purple
- 2 shredded carrots if not using prepackage cabbage mix
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 head cabbage about 8 cups
- Mix everything except for the slaw.
- Cover and Chill in the refrigerator.
- Add the dressing to the slaw just before serving. This keeps the slaw crunchy. If you do not like your slaw crunchy, you can mix everything together earlier.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.