Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
When it is cold outside, a big bowl of Chicken Sausage Gumbo will warm you up. It is so flavorful will lots of Cajun spices. If you have never made gumbo, no worries. I am going to teach you how to make this CHICKEN SAUSAGE GUMBO.
Prep Time5 hrs 26 mins
Cook Time5 hrs 26 mins
Servings: 12 bowls
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Six pieces bacon 3/4 cup bacon grease measure it! You may need to add some butter.
- 1 pound smoked sausage sliced (New Orleans uses Andouille Sausage)
- Three large chicken breast cooked and shredded - about 3 pounds
- One large onion chopped fine
- 1 cup green pepper chopped fine
- 1 cup celery chopped fine
- 64 ounces- 8 cups chicken stock
- Four cloves garlic minced
- Two bay leaf
- One tsp Cajun seasoning
- One tsp salt
- 1 & 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TB FILE Powder
Season Chicken Breast with salt, pepper, & garlic.
Bake 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Chop chicken up.
Cook 6 pieces of fatty bacon in a large dutch oven. You should have about 3/4 cup of bacon grease.
Remove bacon and crumble.
Slowly whisk in the flour. Stir constantly until it is a medium brown color, lower the temp to avoid burning. This will take 20 to 30 minutes. Be patient and watch it close while you are stirring it. Do not let it burn.
Whisk in 32 ounces of chicken broth.
Chop the onion, green bell pepper, and celery super fine.
Add the onion, green bell pepper, and celery to the roux.
Insert the seasonings and Worcestershire sauce to the roux.
Add in the other 32 ounces of broth.
Add in chopped chicken, chopped sausage, and crumbled bacon.
Cover and simmer at least an hour or cook on low 4 hours in crock pot.
Add the File Powder 30 minutes before serving.
Serve over rice with green onions. Serves 8 to 10.